DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGY
Department Contact No. 0927-291022
ABOUT THE FIELD
The science of Geology examines earth materials, processes, and history. Geologists search for petroleum, natural gas, and mineral resources. They study processes acting at the Earth’s surface, such as flooding and landslides, and those generated in the interior, such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Geologists study the history of our planet, including the evolution of life and changes in the atmosphere, oceans, and climate over time. Geologists are employed by the petroleum and mining industries, government agencies (geologic surveys, construction companies, mining and land management organizations), and academia.
A BRIGHT FUTURE
Keeping in view the need of Geosciences in the region and to overcome the Energy crises of KP and Pakistan, Department of Geology, Khushal Khan Khattak University, Karak clenches importance for Oil and Gas Companies due to concentration of Exploration and Production activities in the southern districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. Department of Geology is a part of Khushal Khan Khattak University Karak’s “Energy Studies Center” project, where faculty and students are conducting research in various fields such as reservoir geology, water resources, minerals exploration, GIS & RS, conventional and unconventional hydrocarbon exploration, and so on.
Aspire for leading and trend setting Department of Geology in the province and find due place among country wide.
To make the Department’s vision a reality, the Department of Geology is committed to provide state of the art teaching and research facilities to produce professionally sound graduates at the highest national and international levels of excellence for academic institutions, national and international oil companies and mineral exploration/mining and related organizations.
IMPORTANCE OF STUDYING GEOLOGY AT KKKUK
- District Karak can be considered as the Energy Capital of Pakistan, producing a major portion of hydrocarbons and contributing to the country’s economy.
- Understanding geology is fundamental to the exploration of hydrocarbon, minerals and water resources and this is why we offer Geology degree at Khushal Khan Khattak University Karak. However, before such specialism can be made, a basic knowledge of the way the Earth works is vital for understanding the nature and origin of Earth Resources.
- Karak is ideally geographically located for the study of geology, having some world- class geological field sites and exploration and production activities at hand which can be frequently and conveniently visited.
- Academia – Industry linkage makes Department of Geology, KKKUK a prominent department.
- To develop the students’ critical thinking, enthusiasm, initiative and the necessary skills to become lifelong students of Earth Sciences through provision of market-oriented courses and practices.
- To prepare students for professional positions in industry, government and for careers in academic research and teaching.
- To promote in-depth analysis of the earth crust and explore its economic deposits for the welfare of the country by conducting practical experiments and research in the field.
- To produce experts in Earth sciences. The department will not be restricted to one specialization i.e. Geology but also undertake other relevant disciplines like:
- Structural Geology
- Petroleum Geology
- Mineral Resources
- Reservoir Geology
- Environmental Geosciences
- Engineering Geology
- GIS and Remote Sensing
Dr. Nazir Ur Rehman
Research Interests: Structural Geology, Tectonics, Uranium Geology
Mr. Muhammad Waqar Azeem
Research Interests: Paleogeography, Hydrogeology and Geophysical exploration techniques
Mr. Waheed Ullah
Research Interests: Petroleum and Economic Geology, Field Geology
Research Interests: Sedimentology, Paleontology, GIS & RS
Mr. Fakhrul Islam
Research Interests: GIS & RS, Geomorphology and Basin Modeling
Mr. Kamran Shehzad
Research Interests: Mineralogy, Petrography and Reservoir Geology